Monday, August 20, 2012

Brussel Sprouts a la Blake

As I was making dinner last night, I realized I was making a side dish that I invented eons ago and now know by heart because we love it so much. I decided to share this recipe with you folks in the event you're ever looking for a unique twist on Brussel Sprouts!



After we returned from NOLA, we headed down to the strip for some fresh veggies and meats. I snagged a bag of beautiful brussel sprouts and a sleeve of fresh proscuitto: two of the key ingredients for this scrumptious side dish.


This simple dish only uses seven easy ingredients and is fast and easy to pull together. The recipe below is for 2-3 servings.

~1/2 lb. brussel sprouts, halved
2-3 slices of your favorite prosciutto, chipped (can be substituted with bacon)
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
3 tbs. butter
1.5 tbs balsamic vinegar (I use Fig balsamic from Olio Fresca at Pittsburgh Public Market)
Salt and pepper to taste




Start by melting 1 tbs of butter on medium heat in a saucepan. (If I'm using bacon, this is where I'll add it in to start rendering the fat. With prosciutto, I hold off until the end to avoid overcooking.)



Once the butter is melted and before it begins to brown, add your brussel sprouts.  Salt and pepper them.


Cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring and flipping occasionally. If the pan gets too dry, add another tbs. of butter. The butter and extended cooking helps to remove a bit of the bitterness from the sprout.  After they start to darken and shrink, add your balsamic vinegar and stir well. Cook for another minute.

Next, add your chopped walnuts and prosciutto and your final tbs. of butter and stir one final time, adding any additional salt and pepper to taste.


Cook, continuously stirring or flipping, for another 3-5 minutesor until they begin to char slightly and the prosciutto crisps.


Serve and enjoy!!


I swear, if PID wouldn't get tired of the redundancy, I'd make these brussel sprouts for dinner every. damn. night. They're THAT good.

Do you have a creative twist on a boring side dish? I'd love to hear 'em!




  Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share this!