Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Here we go, Bluebird.

In case you couldn't hear my "SQUEE!" from where you are currently seated, I've recently acquired a new toy.




With months worth of savings and a nice little hunk of birthday change, I strutted into the local Walmart sporting flour-coated sweatpants and demanded that the photo department attendant match the price I found online for the Nikon D5100. Little did I know, it was on sale and already $200 less than the price I'd found online. SOLD.

So today, I lugged my new baby to work in hopes of convincing my colleague, friend and fellow blogger at BYOBurgh to show me the photographic ropes over a lunch date.

Luckily, it didn't take much convincing.  When the clock struck twelve, we grabbed our cameras and made our way to Market Square. After little deliberation, we decided to eat at the fresh, new "to-go" bistro, Bluebird Kitchen.


The line was out of control, but we agreed it was worth it. As we stood and patiently awaited our turn to order, she filled me in on everything form aperture and ISO controls, to shutter speeds and f-stops. By the time we made our way to the counter, I could hardly wait to shove the nose of my lens into a box of fresh sage potato salad (which is what I ordered first).


Ms. BYOBurgh snagged a salad of garbanzo beans, cauliflower, plum tomatoes and red onion. The salad was fresh and light and perfect for a summer treat.

Garbanzo bean salad: $2.50


I snagged the sage potato salad I'd been eying since I walked through the door and paired it with a chicken salad composed of confit chicken, cashews, apple and cumin on a flaky croissant. I nearly butted my way back to the front of the line to demand more potato salad. Not because I wasn't given enough, but because it was so damned good. I realized, while blissfully chewing away, that I'm something of a potato-salad-aholic. I can't recall a time that I didn't ask for seconds (or, come to think of it, thirds for that matter) and it's always the dish I attempt to creatively tackle for picnics and potlucks.  Bluebird did the side justice and I found myself scraping the sides of the box wishing there were just a bit more.

Potato salad with fresh herbs: $2.50


My chicken sandwich was packed with flavor. Bluebird uses the dark meat of the chicken and confits it to perfection, pairing it with just the right touch of mayo, herbs, spices and cashews and apples for a perfect crunch.  If I had one wish, it would be "more chicken, less cashews." Ms. BYOBurgh and I squealed with joy at the sight of Sarnac's Black Cherry Cream Soda and I made sure to grab one to wash down my meal. I gotta say, I was beyond pleased with my lunch.

Chicken Salad Sandwich: $6.75

Restaurant Information:
Bluebird Kitchen
Address: 221 Forbes Ave, downtown Pittsburgh
Phone: 412.642.4414
Hours:    Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Reservations: Not taken, very limited seating (more of a "to-go" restaurant)
Price: $$

Cliffs Notes:
Potato Salad @ $2.5
Chicken Salad Sandwich @ $6.75
Sarnac Black Cherry Cream Soda @ 2.35
Total for one: $12.41

Overall Opinion
If I learned one thing at lunch, it's that the higher the ISO resolution, the more light is let in. If I learned two things, it's that I'll be headed back to Bluebird Kitchen very soon to give the House Roast Beef sandwich a try. The food and the atmosphere were both fresh and inviting. Knowing that their ingredients are locally sourced made me even more fond of Bluebird and I absolutely recommend it as a lovely little lunch (or breakfast or sweet treat!) spot if you work in the downtown area.







Bluebird Kitchen on Urbanspoon
   Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share this!