Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Crock Pot Potato Leek Soup

This week, Yukon Gold Potatoes were on sale, 2 bags for $5, at Giant Eagle Market District. So of course, I felt the need to buy two bags. Then I got to wondering what the heck I was going to do with 8 lbs of potatoes.



My frugality is none-too-often overshadowed by my resourcefulness, so when I spotted some beautiful leeks nearby, I wondered no more. Potato Leek Soup was in the cards! But when I got home and realized I'd forgotten to snag the heavy cream (if it's not on my list, it's not on my mind), I knew I'd have to improvise.


On Sunday morning, like a kid on Christmas, I woke up bright and early and ran down to the kitchen. I poked and prodded until I felt pretty confident with the ingredients I had on hand. I tossed them in my crock pot, set it on high, and plopped on the couch to catch up on my DVR que. At noon on the dot, PID and I had a delicious lunch and I didn't even break a sweat... except when Elena blood shared with Damon on Vampire Diaries.

Here's what you'll need for my "Crock Pot-ato Leek Soup:"


1 lb. Yukon Gold Potatoes, diced
2 healthy-sized leeks, chopped (white and pale green parts only)
2.5 c. chicken broth
1 c. water
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. pearl onions (optional)
1/4 c. tobasco or hot sauce
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. marjoram
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 lb. thick-cut bacon
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped

Place your potatoes, leeks, onions, chicken broth, water, half of your butter, half of your hot sauce, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper into a crock pot and cook on high for 2.5 hours.


After 2.5 hours, ladle the potatoes, leeks and onions into a blender and puree them with the other half of your butter. Return to pot, add the other half of your hot sauce, and cook for another 30 minutes.


Cook your bacon in a pan until slightly crispy, then remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate. Chop your bacon and parsley.

When your soup is ready, you can either sift if for a smooth, bisque-like texture or ladle into your bowl for a hearty texture. Add your bacon and parsley to serve and voila! Delicious, easy and perfect for fall, this soup is sure to impress.




Bon appetite!





Pin It

2 comments:

  1. How do you like the crock pot liners? I have a box of them sitting in my pantry, but I'm afraid they'll make the product taste like plastic. Ridiculous, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOODNESS girl the crock pot liners are the best thing that's ever happened to me. I can't live without them! Cleanup is 100% easier and I've not noticed a difference in flavor at all. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Share this!