Sunday, June 24, 2012

Turn the Page

If you've never ventured down beyond the familiar shops and bars of East Carson street, you're missing out. Less than a mile from the South Side Works lies one of Pittsburgh's most famous shacks.




Under a bridge, next to a used car dealership, across from a creepy psychic shop and amidst seemingly never-ending construction, Page Dairy Mart is a shining star staple in the Pittsburgh area. PID and I happen to live just up the road, so we drive by with some frequency. During the summer months, it's rare to pass by without seeing an enormous line trickling back from the order windows. Page's is a popular place, and we're lucky enough to know why.

Though we've been many times, it had never occurred to me to blog it. "Oh, everybody knows Page's," I'd said. "They don't need me to tell them about it!"

But upon having a conversation about ice cream in Pittsburgh with a coworker who had never heard of it, I knew I had some work to do.

PEOPLE: GO TO PAGE'S.

This ain't no Dairy Queen. This place has every imaginable flavor, every imaginable sundae combination (and a few even beyond imagination), and bubbly, enthusiastic crew of devoted high-schoolers working in "the hole."


Overwhelmed by the menu? Just ask one of these kids "What's good?"  They'll tell ya alright, and describe 2 or 3 of their favorites with mouthwatering detail (like fresh vanilla bean with pecans and gooey hot fudge), making  your decision even harder.

PID and I decided to go for something we'd never had before.  PID with the Turtle Sunday made of vanilla soft serve ice cream, hot fudge, warm caramel, pecans and whipped cream...


...and me with with the Pittsburgh Blonde (appropriate, right?) which was the same vanilla soft serve with a "blonde" or "inside out" brownie, toffee sauce, hot fudge and whipped cream.


I wont bother rate it (I think you can tell my opinion...), but instead I'll let you stare at these photos and salivate as you plan your next trip.

When you arrive, be sure to bring cash - cuz it's all they take - and be ready to stand in line.


There's always a line, but it's always worth standing in.

See you at Page's!




Page Dairy Mart on Urbanspoon


    Pin It

Share this!